Sensitive skin is an ordeal. It itches you, it burns you, it creates a real discomfort. The cause is hard to define – it can be about an allergy, intolerance to makeup and pollution. The skin is one of the most delicate and sensitive areas of the body, but also the most exposed to pollution and stress. It is also why we must fight daily with a drying process more or less visible, but, clearly, regardless of its intensity, translates into a tendency to premature aging.
Sex plays an important role: women have more sensitive skin than men. The hormonal factor is also responsible for this type of skin: it can realize a direct connection between the points of reactivity and the menstrual cycle. People who have had a history of skin complexions and shows clinical fragile or sensitized skin can develop intolerance to cosmetics. Cutaneous sensitivity translates into subjective and objective signs.
Due to the many opportunities of caring for your skin and complex cosmetic treatments, we can have a beautiful and healthy skin.
Sensitive skin is that skin type that raises at present the most problems, especially due to the high incidence in the population. So what is sensitive skin? A definition of sensitive skin can be skin who shows intolerance or minimal tolerance to cosmetic and hygiene products commonly used, with different manifestations. Sensitive skin is easily irritated, it is very susceptible to various aggressive factors: ultraviolet radiation, cold, wind, cleaning products, detergents.
Here are some rules to care your skin:
Rule number 1 – Skin care products tailored to your skin type.
To take care of your skin and to comply with it, the most important is to first make sure that you use products specifically designed for your skin type. Dry skin does not have the same needs as oily skin. Therefore, you need to know in the first place what type of skin you have.
TYPES OF SKIN FACE:
After the fat content stands three basic skin types: normal skin; oily skin; dry skin.
Normal skin is a firm and supple skin, when pinched, the skin does not shrivel and the skin fold disappears immediately. It’s a smooth skin without the apparent pores, smooth and matte.
Oily skin has a shiny appearance due to the secretion of sebum and the open pores. The skin is thick and has endurance, supports the sun good and tans easily.
Dry skin is the result of insufficient sebum secretion, skin is rough, rough also at touching, irritable and inflexible; It shows an excessive sensitivity to sunlight, the wind or low temperatures.
There is often a combination of two or even three fundamental types of skin – Mixed skin( combined).
This occurs in those individuals whose look and quality of the skin varies depending on facial areas:
– Normal to oily skin: in the cheeks, the skin is normal, and in the T-zone( forehead, nose, chin), skin is dry;
– Normal to dry skin: in the cheeks, the skin is dry and in the T-zone is oily.
This type of skin care require cosmetics adapted to your skin type at every level, in the T-zone are used specific products for oily skin and on the cheeks are to be used cosmetics specific to normal or dry skin. Depending on skin type and age we choose a certain range, we perform certain cosmetic treatments and with a certain frequency.
For oily skins or a teenager’s skin type, the sebaceous glands have an increased activity, producing a large amount of sebum that predisposes to blemishes, blackheads or pimples. We recommend the use of cosmetic products which regulates the secretion of sebum.
To mature skins, sebaceous glands lose their activity and the skin begins to dry and break, leading to wrinkles. Yet, as we age, these will be accentuated and they become nonesthetique. For maintenance, we recommend using preparations that blur wrinkles and have an increased moisturizing power.
After the age of 25, skin aging begins, genetically conditioned and impossible to be stopped, however, we might like to believe in fairy tales. At the transformation of the skin, in addition to internal factors( hormonal changes, age, etc. ), contributes a number of external factors, which include:
– Physical and psychological stress,
– UVA and UVB – excessive sun exposure alter the appearance of the skin, causing dryness and wrinkles;
– Improper nutrition,
– Smoking, or drinking alcohol
– Pollution, which acts on skin-baring the pores ,thereof interfering with the normal functioning;
– Moisture, which determines, on the one hand, dry skin( when humidity is low ), and on the other hand cause hypersecretion of sebum( when the humidity is excessive );
– Ambient temperature: extremes temperature( either too hot or too cold) predispose cause of dehydration and skin dryness and wrinkles.
DAILY CARE MEANS
1. Cleaning the skin: to remove makeup and impurities we recommend daily use of a cosmetic type of cleansing cream, cream, lotion or gel moisturizer suited to your skin type; physiological pH of the skin is between 5 and 5.5 and using inappropriate cosmetics to change the value greatly, change the strength of defense against skin microorganisms. You should avoid too, common alkaline soap( because it produces a strong decreasing ) and the use of cosmetics with a pH close to physiological.
2. Toning the skin: it is recommended to use a facial toner to remove residual fat. This topic should be chosen according to your skin type.
3. Hydration: all skin types need moisture and the products should be chosen according to your skin type. For dry skin use fat cosmetics that achieves, at skin’s level, an impermeable film that prevents water loss. If the skin is oily, you should avoid fruit extracts and cosmetics with fatty bases and use those that are water-based. For sensitive skin, it is indicated the use of those unscented products, hypoallergenic that will not irritate your skin and combination skin requires the use of cosmetic products according to each area.
– Avoid aggressive action of sunlight through the daily use of creams with a sun protection factor( minimum SPF 15 ) or through reduced exposure to sunlight in the range 10-16;
– Use cosmetics tailored to your skin type;
– Avoid dehydration( it is recommended the minimum consumption of 2 liters of fluid per day, use moisturizing creams and lotions );
– Avoid dry skin: do not use too alkaline soap;
– Avoid too hot water;
– Eat healthily: eating right and balanced help preserve the healthy appearance of the skin;
– Exercise: sports activities keep the skin in perfect health;
– Say no to active or passive smoking.
The skin is the mirror of our interior, it expresses our lifestyle and is clearly influenced by general health. Therefore, a healthy lifestyle is the first step to beautiful skin.
Rule number 2 – Give special attention to sensitive areas
Some parts of the face( around the eyes, lips, etc.) have a thinner skin, fragile. These areas need special care, especially around the eyes and lips. These are the most sensitive areas of the face and need special attention. Pay special attention to the area around the eyes! Especially in the atopic skin, here will appear here the signs of “premature aging”! To accomplish the de-sensitization of your skin do not neglect the protection you need to ensure at night!
How can you prevent or treat dry sensitive skin around the eyes
Hydrate yourself properly. If your body gets enough water, your skin will be beautiful and bright. Stay true to the rule of consuming 2 liters of water every day and avoid caffeinated beverages because they have a dehydrate effect.
Nourish the skin. Use daily, morning and night moisturizers specific to the skin around the eyes. Opt for professional ones at the expense of industrial and avoid ones that contain parabens.
Avoid stressing skin around the eyes. Do not insist on rubbing the skin when you are cleansing, but uses a special eye makeup remover that contains oil solvents and removes makeup better.
Do as much exercise as you can. Sport is important for skin beauty because it puts blood in circulation and stimulates the sebaceous glands, helping you to eliminate toxins through perspiration also.
Do not make up every day and always remove your makeup when you sit at home, in order to prevent the skin from the harmful effects of chemicals in makeup products.
Protect your skin from harmful effects of weather conditions by using special sunglasses.
Give up smoking and alcohol. These two vices dehydrate your skin around the eyes and make them look dull.
Rule number 3 Use products that reduce skin irritation
Because it is the most intolerant skin type, the sensitive one, contact with inadequate care products, eczema may appear, signs of allergies or contact dermatitis. Genetic factors, age, sex or race is blurred, but still plays an important role in terms of skin sensitivity. External factors such as excessive heat or cold, exposure to the sun or the wind can also irritate sensitive skin, so it is very important for those who have this type of extra skin to protect their skin.
Routine care for sensitive skin
Many ads you watch on TV tell us the same thing; care routine has three steps – cleansing/skin cleansing, toning, and moisturizing. The problem is that only watching commercials on products for the oily skin, wrong habits are taken by using improper cosmetics and the sensitive skin reacts very easily. Cleaning sensitive skin may vary depending on other features of skin, where the skin is mixed/oily and sensitive or normal/dry and sensitive. In general, all dermatologists agree that people with sensitive skin should avoid cleaning products that contain ingredients or if they are strongly scented deodorant, as they contain strong detergents that should not be used on the face.
Sensitive Skin Cleansers
A cleanser without soap does not irritate the skin as much as soap does, and given that we live in a country where most women still use soap as a cleanser, education on routine care should spread among your friends faster than viral videos on social networks.
In general, sensitive skin products must meet several criteria. The fewer ingredients they have, the better the perfume should be avoided, as well as dual-function cosmetics.
Antibacterial or deodorant role ingredients should be avoided, alcohol-based formulas and alpha-hydroxy acids and retinoids.
Rose water, thermal water, and witch hazel are the most recommended options to soothe sensitive skin that is intolerant. Hamamelis water, known as Witch Hazel, is particularly recommended for combination skin/oily and dry skin or normal, whereas it removes the sebum and impurities without drying the skin. It is recommended to avoid general lotions and products containing essential oils as they are associated with skin irritations and allergies.
Sensitive skin hydration
The golden rule for sensitive skin is to use professional products, which have few ingredients.
Skin cream should be chosen by type of skin you have – oily, mixed, normal, dry, before following the list of ingredients to avoid formulas that contain potential irritants or allergens. Important to the present cream is to contain humectant ingredients, which retain the moisture level of the skin and prevents drying out, mineral oil, linoleic acid, ceramide, dimethicone, glycerin or vaseline.
The most common choices are the dermo-cosmetics, which ranges dedicated to sensitive skin with cleaning products, toning, and moisturizing which you can use safely on sensitive skin.
Typically, sensitive skin is dry, aging and wrinkles easier, so it is recommended a care regimen that includes additional protection to the anti-aging chapter. Especially after the age of 20-25 years, there are recommended night creams, eye creams, moisturizers and masks that rejuvenate and gentle exfoliating products, such as lotions and foams.
Makeup for Sensitive Skin
Most people who have sensitive skin feel great discomfort wearing cosmetics. They notice sensitivities are to the eyes, itchy, a sensation of discomfort, which can be also an allergic contact dermatitis. Therefore, strict supervision of the list of ingredients is necessary, to know what to avoid and what can be worn safely. Again, there are options and pharmacies, among dermatological cosmetics, but you can also use professional makeup products, provided the following information:
• Use face powder, which has fewer preservatives and reduces irritation;
• Use a silicone foundation to reduce the risk of skin reactions;
• Do not use waterproof makeup, because you need a special cleanser to remove them, and it can irritate the skin;
• Use makeup products that are formulated to have less than 10 ingredients;
• Use eyeliner and mascara that are less allergenic than others;
• Remember that liquid eyeliner may contain latex, which triggers allergic reactions;
• Use eyeshadows in neutral tones, earthy, which are less irritating to the delicate skin of the eyelids and does not cause irritation. Avoid dark shades such as navy blue;
• Discard expired cosmetics, whose deadline has passed;
Rule number 4 Exfoliation is indispensable
Because facial skin is more sensitive, it needs a gentle exfoliant that will not be as harsh as the one you use for your body. We present the ingredients that you can rely on to keep your skin beauty!
The scrub is a need for the face to keep the healthy look. So scrub for the face should occupy a leading position in the hierarchy of cosmetic products which a woman uses. There is a long list of reasons why a woman should use a facial scrub at least once a week, but perhaps the most important is: scrub helps the skin maintain its healthy look by cleaning thoroughly its impurities, bacteria, dust and dirt, the main factors that lead to pimples, blackheads, and enlarged pores. Also, use a scrub is beneficial if you are facing a dull skin, because it stimulates circulation in the face and improves skin appearance, thus fighting anti-aging. In addition, regular exfoliation will leave your skin smooth, firm and radiant.
Exfoliation should be done carefully. Normally, you should exfoliate your skin about twice a week. But if you have sensitive skin, two exfoliations per week would be too much and can cause irritation. If instead, you have oily skin you may need to exfoliate more often than twice( especially in summer ) to remove dirt that can clog pores. Do no harm your skin, you can ask the advice of a specialist before deciding how often you have to exfoliate your skin. Until then, we’ve prepared some creams that are designed to keep your skin clean and healthy, which contain natural ingredients and are non-invasive.
3 specially designed exfoliant for the delicate skin
1. Scrub with rose water and almond: mix 2 tablespoons of rose water with a tablespoon of almond flour to prepare your scrub. If you do not have in-house rose water you can obtain this: pour boiling water on a few rose petals and let them soak about half an hour. And for almond flour is equally simple: Put them in a blender and get some almond flour! Mix the two ingredients and then apply the scrub on your face, avoiding the eyes and lips. Massage gently and let it act for 10-15 minutes, then rinse. It is a great scrub as rose water has antiseptic, antibacterial and healing properties, and almonds are rich in vitamin E, one of the best nutrients for the skin.
2. Scrub with yogurt and nuts: to prepare this scrub you need a quarter cup of yogurt and a quarter cup of nuts( cut in a blender or smaller ). Mix the two ingredients until well blended and apply to the entire face. Massage gently using a circular motion to exfoliate the skin for five minutes. Then rinse with warm water and wipe your face with a clean towel. Apply a toner to remove any fat permanently and moisturize with a cream for the face. This scrub is suitable for normal skin or a mixed one. The benefits lie in the ingredients used: nuts gently exfoliates dry skin, preventing the growth of bacteria and yogurt soothes the skin and gives softness.
3. Scrub with wheat germ and honey: you need to have two tablespoons of honey with two tablespoons of wheat germ. Preheat a little honey and mix it with wheat germ. Apply this scrub on the clean face and gently massage the skin for several minutes. Leave it for 10-15 minutes and then scrub the face to penetrate well into the skin, then rub again with gentle movements and rinse with warm water. What is the magic of this scrub? Honey has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that help cleanse the skin in depth. Equally, wheat germ has anti-inflammatory properties that cure diseases like eczema and psoriasis, but also help to smooth and soften the skin. Even the lips need exfoliation, so count on some delicious lip scrub!
Rule number 5 Do not forget about natural masks for sensitive and irritated skin
Basically, we need to guard against the excessive sun and use sunscreen with a sun protection factor even in winter days, to take care of your gentle skin, without aggression it and avoiding any cosmetic irritants, including natural ingredients irritants masks we do at home.
Sensitive skin needs calming and anti-irritant ingredients, such as:
• Chamomile flowers
• Marigold flowers
• Chamomile infusion
• Green Tea
• Aspirin( acetylsalicylic acid )
• Fresh aloe vera juice and aloe vera gel
• Oils( flax, hemp, olive, almond, coconut, etc. )
• Oil capsules of vitamins (vitamin E, vitamin A )
• Vitamin C and most fruits rich in vitamin C( but those which are not irritating )
You need to test if you are allergic to aspirin or some ingredients such as chamomile. The three ingredients which are said that shows the underlying beauty of geishas can be used for sensitive skin: green tea, seaweed, and rice flour.
The mask of yogurt, honey, egg yolk and banana for a sensitive and irritated skin
-2 teaspoons honey
-2 tablespoons yogurt
-1 egg yolk
-little mashed ripe banana pulp
-1 teaspoon chamomile infusion
Mix everything, apply on face, neck and around your breasts, let it act for 15-20 minutes and rinse with chamomile infusion.
Mask of honey, green tea, rice flour and avocados for sensitive skin
-2 teaspoons honey
-1 teaspoon rice flour
-1 teaspoon green tea
-some mashed avocado pulp
Mix everything, apply on face, neck, let it act for 15-20 minutes and rinse with water or chamomile infusion.